MAIN DAY TWO
8:00 am - 9:00 am Registration & Coffee
9:00 am - 9:15 am Chairperson's Welcome & Opening RemarksFrank Schwartz - Principal, Advanced Automotive Consulting Services (AACS)
9:15 am - 10:00 am LEDs and OLEDs: Top Automotive Lighting SolutionsTerrence Wilson - Research & Development Manager - Advanced Developments and New Technology Innovations, Magna International
Interior and exterior lighting have both experienced sweeping changes over the past decade via the introduction of LED technologies. LEDs have quickly become the standard for automotive lighting, but the development of OLED may dethrone LEDs widespread integration.
- Defining use cases for OLED or LED integration: where is the best fit
- Current state of industry for OLED and LED technologies
- Design challenges associated with OLED lighting
Terrence WilsonResearch & Development Manager - Advanced Developments and New Technology Innovations
10:00 am - 10:45 am Driving Body on Frame (BoF) Exterior Lighting Applications for Improved Performance & FunctionalityMichael VanBelle - Engineering Manager, Ford Motor Company
This session will provide an in depth look as to the ongoing BoF exterior lighting development, to include engineering challenges, and overall program management for efficient delivery of high-performing lighting systems.
- Body lighting engineering initiatives of interest
- Engineering challenges to expect as we move towards autonomous and MaaS
- Establishing exterior lighting needs to meet customer specifications
Michael VanBelleEngineering Manager
Ford Motor Company
10:45 am - 11:15 am Networking & Refreshment Break
11:15 am - 12:00 pm Enabling Advanced Automotive Lighting Applications with Moldable Optical SiliconesJake Steinbrecher - Technical Service & Development Engineer for Lighting and Elastomers, Dow Performance Silicones
- Unique material attributes of moldable optical silicones for automotive lighting
- Designing and manufacturing ADB lenses, light guides, and other automotive lighting parts with moldable optical silicones
- Performance of moldable optical silicones in automotive lighting applications
Jake SteinbrecherTechnical Service & Development Engineer for Lighting and Elastomers
Dow Performance Silicones
12:00 pm - 1:00 pm Networking Lunch
1:00 pm - 1:45 pm Driving Optical Design Capabilities for Improved Vehicle PerformanceJose Miguel Mercado - Head of Optical Engineering North and South America, HELLA
Optical engineers play a critical role in the development of high-performing automotive headlights, signal lamps, and interior lighting. This session will provide an in-depth view point as to the future of optical design to include industry-wide R&D efforts, simulation challenges, and more.
- Challenges associated with simulating optical systems for headlamps and interior lighting
- Conducting technical feasibility studies for delivery of high-performance products
- Current state of industry and its affect on future optical design concepts
Jose Miguel MercadoHead of Optical Engineering North and South America
1:45 pm - 2:30 pm Automotive Lighting Technology Road Mapping: The Road AheadFrank Schwartz - Principal, Advanced Automotive Consulting Services (AACS)
Ongoing LED and lighting system technological development coupled with the continued demand for passenger cars globally is surging the automotive lighting market. An increased focus on enhancing vehicle aesthetics and looks requires high performing lighting systems.
- Technological developments of interest and what to expect in years to come
- Automotive market highlights by region
- Industry growth drivers and capabilities sought
2:30 pm - 3:15 pm Light-Guides in the Automotive IndustryDr. Vyacheslav Birman - Lighting Technology Expert, Continental
OEMs are continuously leveraging light-guides across the industry, as it provides a means to realize visually attractive and brand-specific lighting solutions for signal and day-time running lights.
- Light-guides general design approach, and selected projects for GM, Ford, Chrysler, Nissan, Toyota, Fiat
- Decorative illumination strategies
- Gauge illumination with light-guides
Dr. Vyacheslav BirmanLighting Technology Expert